05/07/2010

Commentary: Day at work

I am describing my first job at Oddbin's. Although the world of wine should have been interesting, my colleagues (apart from one) made it almost impossible for you to enjoy your job and I can assure you the whole 'laid back' atmosphere in those shops is a complete illusion. My manager, Tom, would always make sure I was doing something incredibly menial, such as dusting bottles, checking the stock of the fine wine collection (it always stayed the same because nobody buys fine wine from an off-license) and re-filling the beer fridge which was a very frustrating because it was as if the alkies were waiting around the corner to come and empty the fridge just after I filled it up. He also made sure that I was never working at the same time as a friend of mine from school. Then there was Helen who was this nasty middle aged woman who treated everyone apart from the manager (me and Nick thought they were having an affair) like morons and give us orders as if we were dogs but with out the treat or 'good boy' at the end. However I'm not sure if I would ever want to receive a treat or tummy rub from her, the thought makes me shudder. The highlight of that job was when underage people came in so you could ID them and when I had to do deliveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment